I’m on a lot of Tea Party email lists for some reason- I guess they love to troll journalists. I got this one earlier today:
Because that doesn’t sound questionable or shady at all!
The Tea Party: It’s the Publishers Clearing House of politics.
UPDATE: I Googled around to see if this thing has been published anywhere else. See if you can guess what the first result was.
Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Hanukkah to all! It’s been a crazy fall, but I’m exciting for a long Thanksgiving weekend with family.
Here’s a roundup of some recently-published stuff:
- I returned to Philadelphia Magazine’s website this week with a piece about the so-called “Knockout Game,” which drew the most unhinged comments of anything I’ve ever written that didn’t involve the Penn State scandal. In my entire two years as a columnist on the Phillymag site I never once had the #1 story on the site; my first freelance piece has been that since yesterday.
- I also put together a list, for EntertainmentTell, of the best non-Sandler Hanukkah songs.
- I’ve been getting Oscar screeners for the first time ever, but before I delve into those, some recent movie reviews. You can see all of the latest ones at my Rotten Tomatoes page.
- Do please check out EntertainmentTell itself, as well as the parent TechnologyTell site; we’ve been growing all year and adding writers, and we’ve got much bigger things planned for 2014.
Thanks for your support everyone, and have a happy holiday season!
Sure, it’s no “ “Rosie Marries Girlfriend, Slams Bush.”
You have a once-in-a-lifetime chance to elect a shirtless vagrant as your next mayor:
That guy makes Jesse Ventura look almost statesman-like.
On Rosh Hashanah it is written…
So many contenders this week!
Was it the Daily Beast piece implying that the former Bradley Manning will enjoy going to prison for the rape? The Daily Caller HotTake that Barack Obama is the first female president? The latest Maureen Dowd disaster, this one driven entirely by an egregious misquote that spawned a correction almost as long as the column?
And that’s to say nothing about the self-righteous pearl-clutching that just about every sports columnist heaved at Alex Rodriguez and Ryan Braun. Good thing it’s August and half of America is on vacation.
“Charlie Manuel: An Appreciation”- Stephen Silver, The700Level.com, Wednesday, August 21:
He was as un-Philly as can be, a man who didn’t talk or act anything like a “Philly guy.” He was 60 when he was hired but could have passed for a decade older. Manuel spoke with a heavy regional accent of a region that is not ours...
“Charlie Manuel: An Appreciation”- Philadelphia Inquirer Editorial, Thursday, August 22:
Charlie Manuel’s accent is not a Philly accent. One of the skipper’s stars recently summed up the city’s initial assessment of his Southern inflections, stammering delivery, and carefree approach to grammar.
I’m still writing my weekly column for Philadelphia Magazine’s Philly Post website, and very much enjoying it. Here are some of my recent pieces:
- Why you shouldn’t worry too much about the Sixers’ owners purchase of the New Jersey Devils.
- My report from the recent convention, in Philadelphia, of the Society of American Baseball Research.
- Another look at the Obama/McNabb parallel.
- A funny look at that guy whose PayPal statement said his balance was $92 quadrillion.
- Why Philllies fans don’t hate Ryan Howard.
- Why I hate the “Stronger Than the Storm” campaign.
- On the retirement of Michele Bachmann.
- A review of the first day of Dick Morris’ local radio show.
I’m always looking for material for the column, so email me (stephensilverwriter at gmail.com) if you have any Philly stories I should know about.
I realize I’ve been way behind on posting links to my articles lately, so I thought I’d go publication by publication over the next few days. First, The Good Men Project, where I’ve been writing sports pieces lately.
First, I, like every other writer in the world, weighed in on Johnny Manziel and “Character Questions.” I really wish I’d dug more into his family, and discovered, as Timothy Burke of Deadspin did, that Manziel’s clan is basically Boyd Crowder’s family from Justified.
And last week, I wrote about controversy surrounding the Eagles’ Riley Cooper and his recent racial slur. “But,” I know you’re asking, “what about rappers?”